16.4.09

"..." Part 4

You won't believe what happened? I actually got inspired to write more! Can you imagine?! I wrote some more while I was at camp, and didn't even remember till now. Very bad, abi? I'm sorry. So, the story continues...

"Darling, what do you mean?"
"Don't darling me? What happened to Sayesha? What? Huhn? She's moved on to her next hit?"
"Come on Gina..."
"I am expecting someone, dude. Please leave".
She might as well have slapped his face.
"I can't believe you. It's only been a little over 3 weeks and you're already screwing someone else?"
"You're an ass. An idiotic hypocrite".
She picked up his shoes and jacket, opened the door and threw them out, holding open the door for him. "Get out."
"I'm so sorry baby. That came out wrong".
"It hurts like hell right?", she scowled at him, "don't ever come here again".
He stepped out, "I was foolish, I agree. You were too..."
She started smiling.
"What the hell is funny?"
"Hi Ade. He was just leaving."
Ade stretched out his hand as her ex turned around, "How're you doing man?"
"I'm aight", he shook Ade absently. "Gina..."
Gina let Ade in and slammed the door.

"I'm sorry about that, he just showed up at my door. I was civil enough to let him in, and all he did was insult me."
"Are you okay?"
"I think so", she smiled, "I'll get my stuff".

Ade had called her to invite her to a Tyler Perry play that was in town for just two days. They had reservations at an Ethiopian restaurant afterwards.

* * *
The city was so beautiful just before it got completely dark. The sun set on their side of the lake. It was an amazing sight as they drove along the Lakeshore highway. Soft music vibrated through his speakers. He obviously loved Neosoul - Floetry, Anthony Hamilton, John Legend, Musiq, D'Angelo, Corinne Bailey Rae and Erykah Badu. The conversation was easy.
"How long have you lived in this city?"
"About 9 years."
"Oh yeah? That's about 6 years longer than I've been here"
"My Dad's job brought us to the US just before I finished up in high school. He was here for 5 years before leaving for Dubai. I stayed because I had a nice job with IMI in HR".
"I won the visa lottery just before my NYSC service year ended. My sister has been here for... forever. She was able to fix the whole thing up for me, and as soon as I got here, I started working as a Manager at one of the department stores in New Brunswick."
"New Where?"
"New Brunswick, New Jersey"
"Oh..."
"Yeah, I know - country. It's not as bad as it sounds though, trust me. I won't have stayed there for a whole year if it wasn't at least almost fun. I dated this Jamaican girl while I was there. I think that was one of my biggest mistakes. She had 2 baby daddies - 3 children. I don't know why all of that didn't make me raise a red flag..."
"Freak in the bed?"
"Umm... I plead the 5th"
"Ok then. That answers my question..."
"Anyways, she definitely wasn't the girl for me. Also, her mum has a bone to pick with all Nigerian men; I still don't know why. And I think she was sneaking around with one of her baby daddies while we were together... I'm sorry, I should stop whinning".
"No! No, I'm not complaining. You seems like you need a listening ear."
"Well, I really don't talk about this heart stuff with anyone but my sister. She even has to cook for me first. She's like my best friend. I don't think..."
Ade's phone started ringing.
"It's her", he whispered before picking up the phone.
"I'm good. Just about to see the Tyler Perry play at Lakeview".
...
"For real?! You didn't tell me. That's cool.!
...
"Yeah I know. Well, I have a... date", he chuckled.
...
"I'm not going to answer that."
...
"No."
...
"I said No. Good bye!" he almost yelled before hanging up; his cheeks were almost obviously hot.
Gina was laughing uncontrollably, "What's going on?"
"She said she's going to be at the plat as well", he replied without taking his eyes off the road.
"This is hilarious. Thank your stars you're not oyinbo. See pink cheeks men."
"Yeah... whatever", he smiled.
"So, tell me about the last few punks you've dated"
"Why'd they have to be punks?"
"I'm just saying, whoever was stupid to let you go is a punk, you know?"
"That sweet. Thanks", she smiled at him and they held each others eyes for half a second, "keep your eyes on the road boy!"
"Anyway", she continued, "I've dated a white man, my favorite cousin's best friend, an Egyptian man and an Urhoba man, in the last four years. Urhobo man was a little too boti for me; white man was cool but his parents haven't gotten the memo that black people can now own the bus company, not only seat in front; my favorite cousin's best friend was just a wuss. He kept giving my cousin detailed updates about our relationship, like who does that?! The Egyptian guy... he didn't deserve me."
"So which one did I meet?", Ade asked, emphazing the last word with air quotes.
"Egyptian".
"Oh... ", he glanced over at her, "you OK?"
"Yeah. I just feel like I was duped, with him. You know?"
He reached over and grabbed her left hand for a very short moment as he drove into the Lakeview parking lot.
* * *
Ade picked up his phone during the intermission to find his sister. As they walked into the lobby, Gina held his and stopped him short.
"Thanks for doing that" she said, smiling into his eyes.
"For...?", he asked.
"Earlier", she loosened her grip on his hands, "I always thought the problem was with me, you know? Like I was never good enough, or that I had to fix myself before I'd find that man, you know, THE MAN..."
"You say 'you know' a lot, you know?", he rubbed his thumb on her cheek and then looked up to locate his sister. "There they are."
"Hey Sis", he leaned in to give her a light peck.
"Gina, meet Londe and her husband Carlos, my bro", Ade made the introductions.
"Very nice to meet you Gina", Carlos said.
"How are you my dear? Nice to meet you", was Londe's response.
"I'm fine thank you. Very lovely to meet you too", Gina replied, "Your sister is very pretty, you know, what happened to you Ade?"
They all shared a hearty laughter, and made plans to meet at the end of the play, before returning to their seats.
"Do you sing?" Gina asked Ade as they listened to one of the musical numbers in the play.
"I like to believe so", Ade replied.
* * *
The play ended a little before 9pm and they drove to the Ethiopian restaurant in convoy.
"Ade, do you purposely avoid compliments and conversations that could possibly be intimate or deep?"
"Why'd you say so?"
"Because you didn't exactly respond when I thanked you for making me feel better about my past relationships".
"Well, that wasn't that serious..."
"I'm just saying", she cut in, "it seemed that way".
"OK. To be honest, yes. But for a reason. I don't want to encourage anything that would make it seem like we're moving in leaps and bounds, instead of baby steps..."
"Excuse me? That's a little insulting, I'm sorry, because you make me sound forward".
"No, that's not my intention. I'm just making sure that we're on the same level, you get?"
"Never mind".
"Come on, Gina... that's not what I meant...
"No, it's OK"
The rest of the drive was silent.
Dinner was good. Gina talked freely with Londe and Carlos but skillfully avoided eye contact with Ade. She figured Londe had noticed because she kept whispering to Ade and nodding or shaking her head. They all shared a Devil's food cake with icecream for desert, before saying their goodnights.
Ade turned on the music as soon as they got into the car, and neither of them spoke till he drove up to the front of her house. He turned off the engine, but neither of them moved.
"Gina"
"Yes Ade"
"Gina, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that you were moving faster than I am. It's just before anything emotional or deep happens between us, I would like us to define what we're doing..."
"OK. Thank you"
"You don't always have to thank me".
Gina smiled and they sat in silence for a few moments. Ade turned off the music and folded his right leg under the left one so he could turn to face her. He took her left hand, turning her towards himself, and reached for her second hand.
"Gina, I like you a lot. A whole lot. We don't know a lot about each other, but I like what I know already. I can't complain".
"I like you too a lot Ade. There's a feel good vibe that you have and I like that very much. I think, for a stranger, I'm a little too comfortable around you".
"That's not always a bad thing... you know?"
"Stop", she smacked him playfully as they both laughed.
"Gina", Ade said, getting suddenly serious, "would you like to be my girlfriend?"
"I haven't been officially asked out in like five years", she chuckled.
"So...?"
"I'd love that Ade. Yes."
"So, is this like popping the question where I'm allowed to give..."
Before he could finish, she snatched up his lips in hers, and kissed him. When she came up for ait laughing, her eyes were moist.
"What's the problem?"
"I'm OK, Ade. You'll learn that about me soon".
Ade pulled her closer and they snuggled up nicely as her put in his John Legend CD, and turned down the volume of the stereo system. Small talk about grade school, college, family and friends and general likes and dislikes continued until the car fell silent after about an hour and a half.
Ade was the first to wake up; it was 6.15am.

7 comments:

life as i live it said...

Wow . I like and cant wait for more.
You write well.

Tairebabs said...

Nice...where is the rest of it...i'm waiting and smiling...

Buttercup said...

yay! u continued! :D

Roc said...

Intruiging..

In the words of Terminator.. "I'll be back!"

rethots said...

"...but I like what I know already." is what i have always believed is all that matters. One can't get to know 'all' about her (him) but, there is something (undefinable) you get to know and you are willing to head on.

Flourishing Florida said...

gee, girl, i didn't know u write fiction! but den, it's been a while i've been here.

ok, let me go & read properly & den critique u. u don't mind bah? i can be wicked o

isha said...

FFF, please do critique o. I'd like to know what I need to do to get better.

I need to continue the story sef.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin